Thing 4

Upon reading the blog An Open Letter about Cyberbullying  was immediately struck by what an outreach and resource a blog can be.  As a response to an artical, this post is constructive and direct with the author’s opinion.   A very real problem our student encounter, I wouldn’t have thought to look for a blog forum for help and/or support.

Why I Don’t Assign Homework was, I thought, a perfect example of what I’d  hope to experience blogging with other teaching professionals.  The author made his point but the responses were fantastic.  Both positive and negative feedback was given with supporting comments and other viewpoints.  Blogging really is a dialogue and not just another avenue for goofing off!

Imagine Turning on the Faucet and Nothing Coming Out reminded me of a glorified facebook correspondance.  The instant gratification of getting one’s opinion out there for all to see is apparent.  It makes me realize how empowered the students feel and how they gravitate to this type of interraction.  (Dare I call it learning?)

Reading a blog is unlike reading a text.  I find them short and concise, yet descriptive and much easier to read than a text book or article.  Perhaps it is the style they seem to be written in.  The format seems to be more in line with a conversation, more friendly and/or open.  The ability for others to comment on what has been written takes the learning process to an entirely different level than what I experienced in school…or expected!  Blogging allows the classroom discussion and feedback to continue but I do worry about the absence of traditional learning through textbooks.  I feel it is important to be able to gather information from both avenues and formats of learning.

I am beginning to think that there might be a “science” or method to efficient blogging.